Monday, May 10, 2010

Our Loss

Today we lay to rest the Patriarch of my family. Robert LeRoy Fair lived a very long and loved 87 years. He had 67 years of loving marriage to Carol Jean (Cook) Fair. They brought 3 children into the world, had 5 grandchildern ( I was lucky to be one of these) and 13 great-grandchildren. He was everything good in the world - loving, gentle, gererous, strong, talented... I could go on and on. He is greatly missed, but in a better place after his almost 3 month battle with cancer. I love you Grandpa. I miss you. Here is the poem I wrote for the funeral service later today - Mike willl be reading it for me, I would never be able to make it through.

Dear Grandpa,

You always made time in your own special way
When your grandchildren came over to play
We fished on the ice, and you wrestled all five
Of the gandchildren demanding your time

You taught life lessons like: Sunday nights are for popcorn
And how to eat ice cream - "Is there any more?"
Centerpieces on tables make less room for food
And families are loving and helpful and good

I used to think that your counting was strange
"15 for 2" made no sense in your cribbage game
I felt very grown up when I was invited to play
The counting makes sense now, it's my favorite game

From the living room window, you'd wave at the boat
Whether we went by skiing or at a leisurly float
You came to my games and concerts and plays
Always there cheering, no matter the day

You supervised projects, we planted a tree
You checked the faucet I put in 'cause my old one had leaked
You're my biggest supporter when I'd try it myself
Always making the time when I needed your help

I know you're in Heaven now, giving the angels some grief
As they take you to fittings for your halo and wings
The family's all waiting there, to welcome you home
And I'm sure there is ice cream, so have a big bowl!
Love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment