Friday, August 23, 2013

UpDate

I was asked if I could elaborate on just how much laundry soap is made by my recipe.  So, I just spent the last 45 minutes making a triple batch.  It was a week or two earlier than I normally would have made it, but in the interest of science, and because it's been a while since I actually calculated, I decided that today was the day.

Now, here's one tip:  I hardly ever make a single batch.  If you recall it takes about a half hour to make one.  Since I use a 5 gallon bucket, a double batch can be done in the same amount of time.  Since I'm in the middle of day 2 of solid laundry..... I decided on a triple batch.  While I was mixing the detergent and filling bottles I was boiling water and melting the soap for the last batch, saving more time there.  If I had done these all individually, it would have taken me an hour and a half total.  But I digress.  I had 4 of the large 96 load size detergent bottles - they say 1.17 US gallon - (you know the ones with the dispenser nozzle made to sit on it's side and not have to be picked up?).  That is the size detergent we used to buy, so I have several of those and then a couple of the smaller, pourable sizes.  I fill the pourable bottles from the large ones as needed.  That allows me to be able to pick up the bottle to shake before use.  Also, since this is a gel detergent, it does NOT come out of that little dispenser .... found that out the hard way the first time I made soap!  My triple batch filled 4 of those 1 1/4 gallon bottles.  When I fill these bottles, I'm not so neat even though I use a 4 cup measuring cup to pour into my funnel, so I pour on top of a towel (I also do that when I fill the smaller bottles).  I spill enough on that towel that I put it in the next laundry load without adding more soap.  So that made about 5 gallons and I estimate that this will last me through the end of the year.  I only used 1 bar of soap, 1 1/2 Cups of Borax, and 1 1/2 Cups of Washing Soda total for all 3 batches.  Again let me remind you that washing soda and baking soda are NOT the same.

The soap cost me about a dollar for one bar
The Borax was about 3 dollars for a box
The Washing soda was about 3 dollars for a box
And my recipe barely makes a dent in those boxes.  Let's estimate high and say I used a dollar for the soap and a dollar total for the borax and washing soda..... $2.00 for 4 jugs of soap and 45 minutes out of my day.  Some people think it is too much bother to make your own, but for me, it's worth my while.

No comments:

Post a Comment